A look back on 2016

Monday 2 January 2017



Happy new year everyone! I can't quite believe we're 2 days in to 2017, how crazy! I'm sure the years are passing us by so quickly now it's frightening. I've seen a lot of people say they couldn't wait to see the back of 2016 and that it was a horrible year for them but I've had some really good experiences in the last year so before I say goodbye to 2016 for good I'd like to have a look back on 9 that stand out most.

1. London for my birthday - Unlike the year before I didn't go there for a weekend I only actually went for the day and I spent it with Ry. We got there around 12 noon and got the train back at 8pm, which was a good 8 hours in London. I mainly went for shopping but also to see the David Bowie mural in Brixton. It honestly made me so sad seeing the pile of flowers and all the candles, signs, and balloons people had left. I know it sounds mental but it really made me cry when I heard the news of his death so it made me feel a little better knowing I'd been myself to the mural to lay flowers, it's the closest I'd every get to paying my last respects.

2. The 1975 Pop Up Shop - In February The 1975 announced a pop up shop in London and also said the band were gonna actually be there to meet people. I couldn't believe it. I only had 4 days notice (typical of them) and I booked my travel immediately. Whilst on the overnight coach to London I actually phoned in sick to my job, scandalous I know, but I wanted to meet them again so bad that it was worth it. Long story short I met all of them and had lovely conversations but I was too awkward to ask for a photo and for them to sign something so I just asked them to sign the photo book the box set and only ended up with a selfie from matty cos he asked me if I wanted one, bless his heart. A couple of days later I went to see them perform The Sound on Alan Carr's chatty man but I wasn't allowed to take photos in there so there isn't one to upload unfortunately. I also in the same month got my The 1975 tattoo, it's floral and for the song robbers which is my favourite. If you follow me on social media you may have seen it.

3. The 1975 March tour - During the month of March I followed The 1975 around the UK and it was honestly one of the best times of my life. I met so many lovely people and got to share my experience at each show with others who enjoy the band just as much as me. I went to 1 show in Brixton, 2 shows in Manchester, 2 shows in Glasgow, and 1 in Birmingham. After one of the shows in Glasgow I met Amber Bain from The Japanese House, she pointed me out actually and said she saw me singing along down the front and wanted to get a photo, she's so so lovely and humble.

4. T in the Park - The exact day before T I went to Wireless festival just for The 1975 and thats in London so I had to get back up north to go to Scotland the next day, as you can imagine it went well. I didn't get back until 2am and I was exhausted and up the next day at 7am to leave for Scotland at 8am. We got there around 12 noon and just headed to the BBC radio 1 stage, we only even went cos I was going for The 1975 and Catfish and the Bottlemen. I was barrier for both of those shows and they were both fabulous, what an experience. I would never usually stay at the barrier on one stage all day but TITP was such a dive that neither me or Ry could be bothered to go and explore. It was recorded and I had a few people say they saw me going for it, haha!

5. Leeds Festival - This was my 4th year at Leeds festival and despite the fact me and Ry had thieves come in our tent whilst we were asleep and steal our money I still had a fairly good experience. I definitely won't be camping again though. Again the main reason I went was for The 1975 and of course I did see them but me and Ry enjoy seeing little bands that are just breaking through so spent a lot of our time at the Festival Republic stage over the weekend. We saw Russell Howard and Billy Bailey in the Alternative Tent and both were hilarious, truly hilarious. I was dreading eating as a vegetarian but I found a van that sold grilled halloumi sandwiches so just lived on them for weekend.

6. The 1975 at The Roundhouse for Apple Music Festival - I didn't win tickets for this but I was lucky enough to know someone who knew someone else who did and I got in. This show was the best The 1975 show I have ever experienced and I think about it regularly it was so amazing. It was recorded so I do from time to time watch the show back and it's lovely to see me and everyone I queued with having the time of our lives. 

7. The 1975 BBC Radio 1 Live Lounge at Blackpool Tower Ballroom - Another show I was very fortunate to bag tickets for. This live lounge was spectacular and this was again recorded so my face was captured belting out the words again. This was a very special show as the Philharmonic Orchestra were playing with them, such a big show all of Matty's family were in the audience. I got to hear the instrumentals from the new album live for the very first time and it was amazing. I cried so hard. I also got two pieces of sheet music from the Orchestra and the set list!! So lucky to have experienced such a special show.

8. Seeing The Cure at Manchester Arena - This is on the list for the main reason that I've ticked something off my bucket list. I had a list of old bands I'd love to see live and when I saw The Cure were coming to Manchester I bought myself one seating ticket for £25 and went as I'm the only one I know who really likes them and it was an opportunity too good to miss. They were truly fab and played so many greatest hits.

9. The 1975 Wintour - I spent 8 days of December (13th-20th) travelling the UK again for The 1975's winter tour and boy was it worth it. I met even more lovely people and was reunited with those I'd already met in March. I went to 6 shows; Manchester, 2 London, Newcastle, and 2 Glasgow (one of those show being Clyde 1). For Manchester and London I actually camped outside overnight just for barrier and I almost did for Glasgow but I just couldn't be bothered I was so poorly and cold I couldn't bring myself to camp. I kind of regret it now but at the same time I don't because I still very to lucky have been able to go to 6 shows. As of this moment I don't know when I'll next see The 1975 and that makes me extremely sad, also a little panicky. I'm so grateful for everything the band and their management do for us, the fans, and am so lucky to have experienced what I have.


I've had a wonderful and very The 1975 themed 2016 and I'm kinda sad to say goodbye to it. I hope 2017 is just a great if not better and hope you all had a wonderful year.


Post a Comment

Latest Instagrams

© Amiiliek | A Beauty, Fashion, and Lifestyle blog. Design by Fearne.